Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Good Shepherd

The good shepherd John 10:11-18

JESUS said, "I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. A hired man, who is not a shepherd and whose sheep are not his own, sees a wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away, and the wolf catches and scatters them. This is because he works for pay and has no concern for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and I know Mine and Mine know Me, just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I will lay down My life for the sheep. I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear My voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd. This is why the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down on My own. I have power to lay it down, and power to take it up again. This command I have received from My Father."

The WORD

Other sheep – The plateaus of Israel offer abundant pasture, and sheep and goats are the chief support of the pastoral peoples. In the Bible, allusions to sheep and to sheep raising abound. The care of sheep is a rich source of theological imagery. The sheep must be protected from the wild beasts, inclement weather, and thieves (Gn 31:39-40). They are kept inside an enclosure or sheepfold (Greek auls). Sometimes, the sheepfold is jointly used by a number of shepherds for a plurality of flocks, guarded by an attendant through the night. In the morning, each shepherd calls forth his own flock.

The sheepfold, especially if it is a permanent one and enclosed by stone walls, is entered through the gate. It is through the gate that the shepherd comes in and the sheep go out when they are led to pasture.

In John, the sheepfold represents the gathering of Jesus’ disciples and of later believers. In His discourse on the "Good Shepherd," Jesus says that aside from His followers He has "other sheep that do not belong to this fold," which He will also call (10:16). This group possibly refers to the Jews not yet belonging to the Johannine community and "outsiders" like the Samaritans and the Gentiles. These are the "dispersed children of God" (Jn 11:52) for whom Jesus will also give His life. When Jesus returns to the glory of the Father, the disciples will preach the gospel to them and welcome them to their community, the sheepfold of Jesus.

SOURCE:
"365 Days with the Lord,"
ST PAULS,
7708 St. Paul Rd.,
SAV,
Makati City (Phils.);

Tel.: 895-9701;
Fax 895-7328;
E-mail: publishing@stpauls.ph
Website: http://www.stpauls.ph

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home